Helping the Young Reader
Student Goals for Red Levels 1 and 2
- I read from left to right and from top to bottom
- I point to each word that I read
- I begin to recognize some words, such as "I" "to" "go"
Tips for the Grown-Ups at Red Levels 1 and 2
- Read the Title - The adult should read the title for the child
- Preview the Pictures - At the beginning, look through the pages and discuss the pictures with the child
- Model for Your Child - You might want to point and read the first page for the child. Some children will confidently continue and try the rest of the book on their own. Others may need to have you continue modeling, pointing and reading the rest of the book for them.
- What About Mistakes? - At this very early reading level, the child is not actually "reading" as they will at later levels. Right now, they are developing the early reading behaviors outlined in the goals above. Do not be concerned when they read a word incorrectly.
- Encourage Re-Reading - A lot is accomplished when a child reads familiar books again and again. They get praise and acknowledgement for being a reader. They begin to recognize the small words that they will see frequently in beginning books. And even more important, it becomes natural for them to read smoothly and quickly
Copyright © 2016 • Becoming Readers